"The initiative has been designed to combine a business goal and a social cause. It allows students to understand the importance of doing business that not only helps an individul but society as well."
-Ajit Rangnekar, Dean, Indian School of Busines
"Murthy’s clarity of thought must be seen and heard to be believed."
-Chaitanya Sagar Bethu, Class of 2010
"Birla's vision for the company and to create the best talent pool is what truly inspired me."
-Mayank Agarwal, Class of 2010
Shadow a CEO is an innovative and unique programme organised by the Indian School of Business to celebrate the ‘Joy of Giving Week’. Under this programme, which is one of our most anticipated and talked about initiatives, the students from ISB & other premier Business Schools participate in an online auction They bid on the CEO of their choice to spend an entire day with him. The CEO then contributes an equal amount, (if not more) and the collective corpus goes to a charity of the CEO’s choice.
Shadow a CEO serves the dual purpose of mobilising funds for charity, reinforcing ISB’s commitment to social responsibility and also providing students with once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet some of the biggest names in Corporate India. An outstanding number of 25 CEOs have taken part in this endeavour in 2012. The prestigious list includes
- N R Narayana Murthy (Founder Chairman of Infosys Technologies)
- Kumar Mangalam Birla (Aditya Birla Group)
- Ajay G Piramal (Piramal Group)
- Sanjay Nayar (KKR India)
- Anurag Behar (WIPRO)
- Nitin Paranjpe (HUL)
- Sunil Lulla (Times Group)
- Harsha Bhogle (Cricket Commentator)
- Tiger Tyagrajan(Genpact)
- Meera Sanyal (Royal Bank of Scotland)
- Vellayan Subbiah (Murugappa Group)
- S Siva Kumar (ITC)
- Sridhar Subramania (Sony India and Middle East)
- Analjit Singh (Max India)
- Deep Kalra (Make My Trip)
- Srini Raju (Peepul Capital)
- Pramath Raj Sinha (9.9 Mediaworx)
- Neeraj Roy (Hungama Digital Media)
- Hemant Kanoria (SREI)
- Vikram Sakhuja (Maxus, GroupM)
- Vishal Gupta (Bessemer Venture Partners)
- Shaheen Mistri (Teach for India)
- Dr. Ajay Bakshi (Max Healthcare)
- Amit Chandra ( Bain Capital)
- Sashi Sinha (IPG Media Brands).
Shadow a CEO is organised as part of the ‘Joy of Giving Week’ , a national movement that aims to engage more than a crore Indians in different "acts of giving" through money, time, resources and skills- spanning the Corporate, NGO and Government sectors, and also schools, colleges and the general public. The Week is designed as a "public platform" and is being co-ordinated by GiveIndia, a non-profit organisation whose mission is to promote "giving".
This concept works very well because of its motive-to raise awareness amongst future business leaders at the ISB and current CEOs about the 'Joy of Giving Week' while simultaneously motivating students to participate by giving them a platform to boost their careers, the dream of any business school student. In the words of Dean Ajit Ragnekar, “The ISB believes that social responsibility is a vital aspect of doing business and it is this belief that drives us to associate and participate in the Joy of Giving Week through the ‘Shadow a CEO’ programme. We encourage our students to take on socially responsible ventures and use the power of business to improve society.”